We all rely on our teeth every day: for smiling at friends and neighbors, and allowing us to enjoy delicious, nutritious meals. At The Norterra Dentist in Phoenix AZ, we never want anyone to take their teeth for granted.
Here are some things about teeth and dental health you might not know. None of it is trivia!
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription meds can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of babies between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated decay.
- Heartburn can be damaging to teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as harmful to teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At The Norterra Dentist in Phoenix AZ, we don’t want any of our patients to take their teeth for granted. Our services include general dentistry, and specialties like dental implants. We have offices in Phoenix and Black Canyon City. Schedule an appointment today!